With the likes of Robert Lewandowski and Pierre Emerick Aubameyang, Borussia Dortmund were never short of attacking talent. However, being a Bundesliga club, the German giants are prone to losing their best profiles to bigger European clubs. Thankfully, the Bundesliga leaders are the best in the business when it comes to recruiting new and exciting players. And this season is not an exception to that rule. Borussia Dortmund signed Spanish sharpshooter Paco Alcacer on Loan from Barcelona this season and the man is creating havoc in the Bundesliga! So who is he? And where does he come from? This is Paco Alcacer’s strory.
Paco Alcacer, The Beginnings
Born in 1993 in the Valencian community of Torrent, the young kid showed a huge affection to football. Paco Alcacer joined Youth club Monte-Sion at age 7. He then moved to Valencia football academy at age 12. Afterwards, he made his senior debut with Valencian reserve team before being called up to the first team 2010. Paco Alcacer played the full 90 minutes against UD Logroñés in Copa del Rey.
A tragic event shattered Paco’s world at age 18. After he scored the 3rd goal in a friendly against As Roma, Alcacer was leaving Valencia’s Mestalla stadium with his family. His father’s heart failed and fell on the ground dying at age 44 despite medics efforts for 30 minutes. Paco returned to training a week later and made his LaLiga debut in January 2012. He replaced Sofian Feghouli in the game against Real Sociedad.
After a short loan spell to Spanish club Getafe, Paco Alcacer returned to Valencia. Then, he scored his first competitive goal for the club in January 2015 in a game against Espanyol.
Paco’s first Hat-Trick
On April 10th 2014 in a thriller second leg UEFA Europa League game against Swiss club Basel, Paco Alcacer scored his first hat-trick to comeback after a 0-3 first leg defeat. Valencia went on to win that game 5-3 on aggregate. This made Alcacer goal count raise to 14 during the season.
Number 9 Jersey
After showing his skills as a clinical finisher, Valencia awarded Paco Alcacer with the number 9 jersey previously worn by Helder Postiga. Finishing the 2016 season with 15 goals for Valencia.
Paco Alcacer’s move to Barcelona
Paco’s performance made him a target for big European clubs. On August 30th 2016, the Spanish attacker signed a €30 million five-year deal for Spanish giants FC Barcelona. He was then compelled to fight for his spot among world class players like Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar. Alcacer made his debut game for Barcelona in September of the same year against Alaves.
Alcacer’s first goal for Barcelona came in December 2016 a game against Hercules in the Spanish cup. He then scored his first LaLiga goal for Barcelona against Athletic Bilbao in February 2017. Paco’s goal count went to 10 goals in 37 games.
Paco Alcacer in Borussia Dortmund… New Adventure
In the summer of 2018, Borussia Dortmund’s coach Lucien Favre started looking so desperately for a striker. After considering many options, Borussia Dortmund reach an agreement to sign Paco Alcacer on loan from FC Barcelona. It turned out to be an excellent deal.
In his debut game for Borussia Dortmund in September 14th against Eintracht Frankfurt, Paco Alcacer replaced Maximilian Philipp and scored the final goal to win 3-1.
Impressively and shocking everyone in the Bundesliga, Alcacer went on to score 5 more goals in a total of 3 appearances. 2 against Bayer Leverkusen to get the 2-4 win and a hat-trick against Augsburg on Match-day 7.
Paco Alcacer Interesting Facts
- Although he watched Barcelona execute “La Remontada” against Paris Saint Germain in the Champions League thriller from the bench, he was a key part in an early Remontada for Valencia against Basel scoring 3 goals.
- Paco Alcacer is the current big monster for Bundesliga defenders. His speed and agility coupled with his accurate placement make of him a very versatile striker and a natural finisher.
- After his amazing performance with Borussia Dortmund in the Bundesliga so far, Paco was called to the Spanish national team for the first time since 2016.
- Paco Alcacer scored 6 goals in 3 appearances. It only took him 81 minutes of game time to achieve this number.
- Borussia Dortmund fans consider Paco their savior. He scored the winner against Leverkusen. He also equalized two times for Borussia Dortmund against Augsburg and scored the winner.
- His first hat-trick for Borussia Dortmund came in his 3rd appearance for the German club.
- In the 95th minute of the game against Augsburg, Paco Alcacer asked teammate Raphael Guerreiro to take a last chance freekick. He scored from the same freekick allowing Dortmund to secure 3 points and be top of the Bundesliga table before the international break.
From the 2005 Borussia Dortmund, till the title winning squad in 2011 and UEFA Champions League runner up era, Mostafa was always a very passionate Black and Yellow supporter. You would often see him in Coffee shops and Bars on Matchdays. He will be wearing a BVB jersey and sipping on a German beer and most likely swearing at the referee.